Welcome!

Thanks for visiting. I depart for Puducherry (formerly Pondicherry), India on December 15, to serve at a small NGO (nongovernmental organization) called Prime Trust for approximately five weeks. This small NGO is located on the coast of the southeastern state of Tamil Nadu. Prime Trust is dedicated to improving the lives of women and children through Self-Help Groups (SHGs) facilitated through microfinance tools. Programs including educational awareness campaigns aimed at women's rights, domestic violence education, HIV/AIDS awareness and health education motivate and assist the women in the community and surrounding area.

I hope to keep you posted of my experiences and share pictures with you of my journey. Feel free to post comments, suggestions, tips, your own experiences, good will wishes and prayers. Godspeed!

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Prep Time


The fundraising letters to send me off to  Prime Trust were a great success! Thanks to all who contributed! You helped me raise over $2300 in just a couple of months, and I have now purchased the air tickets.

Most recently, I have received 5 of the 6 immunizations that were recommended. I'm sure I got way more than I deserved....but I will be set to go abroad for years to come now.

Next on the list is applying for a visa. According to the India visa website in Houston, it shouldn't take more than a week or two which is good news since the journey is now about 6 weeks out.

Soon, I will begin making a list of all essentials to pack and if anyone has suggestions, feel free to send word.



For more info on the NGO, go to www.primetrust.org.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you Vanessa! This is going to be such an adventure and I can't imagine how you would prepare for something so unknown.

    A friend returning from a mission trip once told me that she wished she had taken more packs of gum. A stick of gum was a great joy for the underprivileged people that she had worked with, particularly the kids.

    So I say Juicy Fruit... it might also come in handy to fix a leak in your roof... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Small, light and a lovely little token. And, I love juicy fruit...and yes, the leaky roof scenario....you just never know.

    Thanks Ang! You are a great supporter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Vanessa!

    I'm so proud of you! You are going to have a wonderful experience and always remember to smile. (not too hard though, I dont you to get picked up!)

    ReplyDelete